Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I made my first pie...

I was looking for recipes for pies utilizing honey instead of sugar (I read "Sugar Blues" for the second time and was feelin' the fervor) and instead found the holy grail: Apple Gruyere Pie, ala "Pushing Daisies".

I set to work in the kitchen and made my first...yes, first...pie! Below are the pictures (pretty ugly). I have to say, baking pies is pretty fun, even for an utter spazz like me! I make yummy cupcakes (I got a good recipe) and good muffins, but I am not presumptuous in the kitchen in the slightest.

The verdict: I don't think a pie is supposed to look like this, but it doesn't taste bad. I put too much Gruyere on top (wasn't called for), and that made it saaaaaalty for my taste. Not bad for a first time pie, but could be better. I should have added more apples, possibly used leaf lard as recommended in recipe (couldn't find it). Otherwise, crust is nice and flaky and buttery, apples are yummy, too.

Edit: This pie is really good! Even other people said so! YAYAYAYAY













4 comments:

  1. whatttttt...gurl gimme some! ahahah anyways congrats on your 1st pie! at least i think yours is better than mine, which renders the pie inedible lol.. im sure with a lot of practice the pie will turn out exactly like on the show teheheh xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you are awesome. If I could ever make anything that tasted good AND looked good, I'd be happy--and one that looks like PD pie would be amazing. I am going to try a strawberry pie next...wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhh wonderful. Best of luck emma! btw are you married or smthg? stay at home mom? just wondering heheh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am married. :) I don't have kids.

    ReplyDelete