Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Movie costumes: Frida. Part One.

It is fitting that a movie about legendary painter and style icon Frida Kahlo would be visually stunning. Sets, costumes, casting, everything is just wonderful. Here are a few of my favorite costumes from the movie. Since there were so many, this is part one.


Frida tangos with Tina Modotti. Frida's dress is a sumptuous red velvet with drop waist and ruffled hemlime (and contrast coloring on edge?), Tina's it an open-backed beaded black with draped beading details.


















Another shot of Tina's dress. It was stunning.















Diego and Frida are married. She looks heavenly in rich forest green and vivid red. Love her chunky necklace.







Her arracadas look awesome. This is a nice solution when your earrings don't match your gemstones: wear pure metal earrings.


Simple blue dress. Love the style and color.















This white dress was my favorite of the movie. Simple, crisp, white dotted swiss in a lovely feminine pattern. I would have gone absolutely nuts for this dress as a teenager--and still do. I believe this is a German-style dress--it struck me immediately when I saw the movie that this dress might represent Frida's German heritage, as it does resemble a dirndl. I will correct this info if I find it's false.









3 comments:

  1. loving the sexy back bias cut beaded dress! saw one one asos revive months ago. Welp cept the price is really discouraging me to purchase it sob sob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo. :( Maybe you can find one on Ebay for less expensive? Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ebay! ive never tried shopping on ebay before. This would be a start. Thank you =D

    ReplyDelete